Healthy Living Medical Exercise Program
Regular exercise is fundamental in chronic illness management, weight loss, and overall health maintenance. It boosts immune systems, relieves stress, helps regulate blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar, increases lung capacity and metabolism and a whole host of other benefits.
Through the 120-day Healthy Living Medical Exercise program, participants receive a custom-designed exercise and lifestyle program to help them achieve their goals and manage chronic illnesses. The exercise program is tailored to their limitations and goals, with options and tools to make meaningful, positive changes. The overreaching goal is to instill lifelong healthy behaviors that foster independence and encourage participants to transition to a long-term community-based exercise program.
All participants are required to obtain clearance from their medical provider before beginning any program at the Healthy Living Fitness Center. A provider-signed order is needed to begin program. Restrictions or recommendations from your provider will be used in designing your exercise program.
• Enhance quality of life
• Manage chronic conditions
• Prevent avoidable hospitalizations
• Delay onset or reoccurrence of symptoms
• Support and help achieve individual goals
• Behavior modification
• Achieve a consistent fitness program
• Transition to a long-term communitybased exercise program, including a YMCA
membership at the Center for Healthy Living.
The Program Includes
• Exercise program, designed by an exercise specialist
• Use of Healthy Living Fitness Center
• Access to group fitness classes
• Consultation with a dietitian on an as-needed basis
• Option to participate in Healthy Living Nutrition
• A free informational orientation session, which includes a guided tour of the facility, information about the medical exercise program and class offerings, and a pre-participation health screen.
• Health-related fitness testing
- Initial fitness test
- Midpoint fitness test (2 month)
- Final fitness test (4 month)
• Medical monitoring and vital sign checks.
• Individualized and supervised exercise programs. Plus, appointments with an Exercise
Specialist for exercise and education
Who Can Benefit
Our customized Medical Exercise Services are designed to benefit people with conditions such as:
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Chronic pain
• People working on:
- Post-rehabilitation from injury or surgery
- Weight reduction
When you complete the 120-day program, our goal is to keep you moving. You may continue to use the Fitness Center through a reciprocal arrangement with the Mattoon Area Family YMCA. You can join the YMCA and select to use this facility. Scholarships and senior discounts are available. If you wish to continue to use a personal trainer, you may purchase sessions.
Membership includes full use of the facility during hours of operation, seven days a week. For more information, please ask a Center for Healthy Living staff member, or call the YMCA at 217-234-9494.