Sharing the joy of giving…
WomenConnected is a philanthropic women’s giving circle within the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Foundation where women have the opportunity to combine their charitable contributions and as a group, manage and grant funds to Sarah Bush Lincoln programs and services.
There are two levels of membership. Women donate annual gifts of $500 or $1,000. Membership contributions are pooled together with 75 percent used to provide grants, the other 25 percent into a temporarily restricted endowment that can be used if a specific need arises at Sarah Bush Lincoln. Some SBL programs and services funded include cardiovascular screenings, nursing education, nutrition counseling for overweight children and diabetes programs. Since its inception in 2003, WomenConnected has granted more than $800,000 to SBL.
The group most recently awarded grants to programs including Peace Meal, SBL Dental Services, Healthy Communities, Center for Healthy Living, The Heart Center, Healthy Communities, Regional Cancer Center, Diagnostic Imaging and SBL Psychiatry & Counseling. The awards will be available in fiscal year ‘22.
The awards include:
- Peace Meal - $3,029 to help fund more than 500 home-delivered meals to individuals who cannot afford the suggested donation. The program operates at a deficit of $500,000.
- SBL Dental Services - $30,000 to help provide restorative dental care to 245 children; and $4,311 for oral hygiene kits for 4,000 children.
- Healthy Communities - $4,000 for cyber bullying online course aimed at 2,800 students in the fall 2021; and $1,000 for zones of regulation equipment to help up to 400 children deal with emotions and understand how their actions impact others.
- Center for Healthy Living - $3,000 to provide 15 scholarships to assist with the costs related to medical exercise and weight loss program as prescribed by providers.
- Regional Cancer Center - $2,025 for infusion pump PoppyPockets for 100 carrying cases for people in cancer treatment to carry their infusion pump outside their clothing.**
- The Heart Center - $1,700 to provide a scale to 150 people newly diagnosed with congestive heart failure weigh themselves daily.**
- SBL Psychiatry & Counseling - $500 to help up to 15 people stabilize severe mental health concerns, when they cannot afford their medications.
- Diagnostic Imaging - $2,500 to create educational videos for children to help diminish fears about having an MRI; and $500 to provide educational materials for a free course, Powerful Tools for Caregivers, to help them cope with caring for chronically ill loved ones.**
WomenConnected members also agreed to give $10,000 from its endowment to help support the construction of the SBL Bonutti Clinic in Effingham.
WomenConnected meets six times per year with three of those being a members-only “Lunch with the CEO” with SBL President & CEO Jerry Esker.
If you would like to learn more about WomenConnected or to join, please contact Amy Card in the SBL Health Foundation at 217/ 258-2511.
**This item is made possible by a grant from WomenConnected, the women's giving circle within the SBL Health Foundation.